“Refugees welcome!” “Build the wall!” Communities—and law enforcement agencies—are being pulled in many different directions when it comes to the issue of illegal immigration. The new presidential administration has signaled a shift in federal law enforcement priorities, pressuring agencies to cooperate with ICE and DHS. At the same time, activist groups are pushing law enforcement leaders to commit to protecting undocumented immigrants and refusing to aid federal authorities enforce immigration laws.
With all the emotions involved, it’s easy for law enforcement leaders and patrol officers to question their policies on immigration violation. In this webinar, Chief Andrew Mills and Chief Ken Wallentine will present a commonsense, legally grounded approach to immigration violations policy.
- The difference between criminal and civil immigration offenses and limits of local law enforcement to arrest and/or detain.
- Cases that shed light on ICE detainers and local law enforcement response to them.
- How the Eureka (CA) PD balances enforcement priorities against the need for community trust.
- Strategies for engaging all community groups around this issue.
- Highlights of Lexipol’s Immigration Violations Policy.
Chief Andrew Mills Chief Ken Wallentine
Chief of Police Special Agent
Eureka (CA) PD Utah Attorney General’s Office
Senior Legal Advisor, Lexipol